to close window -.
Lodging Audit (Validation) Points
- Verify each line item in the expense report individually.
- Verify all required receipts are received and legible.
- Per the OBM Travel Rule lodging reimbursements are subject to a federal per diem determined by the location of overnight stay; therefore, all expense locations must match actual location of overnight stay (verifiable on hotel folio) except:
- Acceptable when lodging locations are within same county or another city located within the same county. Lodging locations that span multiple counties and the counties have the same per diem rate, either county is acceptable (i.e. Cincinnati). Can also be replaced with "Other Cities." (Rates verified by GSA at www.gsa.gov.)
- An overnight stay is required to claim a meal per diem.
- Meal per diems prorate on the day of departure and day of return based upon the time of departure and return.
- Room safe charges are not an authorized reimbursable expense. Room safe charges are considered incidentals and are reimbursed as part of the claim of meal per diem.
- Conference Lodging expense type provides no cap on the amount of lodging expenses being claimed per day and may allow an overpayment in cases where "lodging" expense type should be used.
- Conference Lodging expense type only acceptable when conference is referenced on the expense report. OR when an OBM Travel Exception has been granted and referenced in the comment or attachments allowing lodging over the per diem amount. Also acceptable if used by traveler in place of "lodging" ONLY if amount of stay per night is less than or equal to location per diem.
- If the traveler attending a Conference is claiming a lower regular lodging rate and is not claiming meal expenses, conference documentation (agenda) is not required.
- The number of nights on lodging detail must not exceed the actual number of nights reflected on the hotel folio.